Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Day 190


The Belly of the Beast

A hero's journey
Within; The darkness
The brave
The bold
The broken.

Many have made this journey
Many have fallen.
Some terrible monster
must lie within
This belly of the beast.

I scaled the mountain
And on that distant shore,
Lie that terrible beast,
Mouth wide and waiting.

That beast lie there,
On that wretched beach
Salt water crashing
Against its leather skin.

I climbed within the mouth.
A hero does not waiver.
A hero does not retreat.
I found myself in the belly of the beast.

There I was,
Cold and shaking
Barely breathing,
But a monster, I did not find.

A child, instead
Huddled in the corner,
Shivering.
How does one fight a child?

Many a day
Many a night
I pondered this question
With the acid lapping at my boots.

And in the stillness,
I took a breath.
I wrapped this child in my arms.
I said, "Be still, I am here."

I said, "You are loved."
I said, "You are safe."
I said, "You are me."
And with that,

The beast spit me out.
The child I could not see.
But deep in my heart
A gentle whisper,
"You are me."

I turned to face the beast,
But there was none.
I turned to climb the mountains,
But there were none.

I am me.
I am the mountains.
I am the child.
I am the beast.
I am infinite.

I found myself in the belly of the beast.

No comments:

Post a Comment