Sunday, May 26, 2013

Day 194

          True love still exists. I just saw it happen in my apartment complex, in the building across my street. I was sitting on my balcony, writing melancholy poetry...like I do, when I heard "Red Dirt Road" playing quite loudly (that's a country song for you uneducated folks ;) ). Of course I get up to see what all the noise was about, because I was enjoying the quiet pre-rain weather, when what do I see but a man holding a boombox over his head. Boombox? Seriously? Who still owns a boombox? Of course shortly after a woman and her kid come out on the balcony and then she runs back inside and comes out the garage. They hug and dance until the song is over, and then he says "Happy anniversary  I love you." No one believes me when I say I have really good hearing. I want someone like that in my life. Not him, he was probably my parents' age, but someone who is a romantic at heart.
         This whole year has been about renewing my faith in love, and while I have grown, I don't think I made any progress towards that goal until today. I was not bitter, I did not think to myself, "That'll never happen to me." Today was the first day in a long time that I cried out of the beauty of love. How is it, that we have created a world where it's nearly impossible to believe in love? Where the damaged prey on the innocent, tearing them down and turning them into a copy of themselves? How is this possible? Today, I reclaim my soul as a romantic, a dreamer, and a lover. Yes, I'm still complicated and recovering and a force to be reckoned with. But I can now say, without a doubt, I believe in love. I don't remember the last time I was able to say that. I can say it now, and that's all that really matters.

Lesson:

True love still exists.


No comments:

Post a Comment