Thursday, May 23, 2013

Day 191

     I want to talk about darkness. Humanity is obsessed with light and dark. Light is good, dark is bad. Look at one of the most popular mainstream religions, God is everlasting light. Do you know what consistent light does to the human body? I promise you, it's not pretty. I know, I know, it's a metaphor. But, seriously...think about it. Without darkness there is no light. We are so inherently afraid of darkness, we forget the light can hide just as many dangers as the dark. We also forget that there must be balance in the universe and within ourselves. I do not encourage the type of darkness that makes serial killers kill, but the darkness of grief and sorrow and pain. We must fight what society deems evil and learn it is not okay to hate part of our natural state.
          I am myself. I am both light and dark. This is okay. Everyone has a dark side, but the point is not to hide from it, but rather embrace it as part of yourself. Do not fear your own strength or your own weakness. We are all human. To love ourselves, we must love ALL of ourselves. The poem I wrote yesterday spoke of expecting a monster and finding a scared child instead. That's because the darkness within us stems from fear. All of our anger and hatred stem from our fears, our insecurities. So, it is time to take that child under our wing and begin to truly live. To accept every part of ourselves, and embrace life as a whole. Not only the light, for the dark is inevitable. Why not enjoy it?

Lesson:

Our darkness is just as important as our light.



No comments:

Post a Comment